Do you ever come across a Turkish recipe that screams make me but then get stumped on the measurements ...
It seems like a great recipe and you want to get down to the nitty-gritty of cooking but then you start to read 1 glass of this. 1 teaspoon of that and you think I don't know how many mls that is - actually how big is a water glass?!?!?! agghhhh!
Whether you've been taught metric or imperial - nothing prepared you for the simple Turkish çay versus tatlı versus yemek spoon debacle.
Hopefully, this handy little guide will now be at hand for you, either bookmark the page or feel free to download & favourite the picture into your phone gallery. You'll be able to work it all out and get on with that exciting looking recipe by simply using standard measuring spoons and cups.
How many mls are Turkish spoons and glasses?
- One Çay kaşaığı or Turkish tea spoon is equivalent to 1/2 a UK or US Teaspoon - 2.5ML
- One Tatlı kaşığı or Turkish dessert spoon is equivalent to One UK or US Teaspoon - 5ML
- One Yemek kaşığı or Turkish dinner spoon is equivalent to One UK or US Tablespoon - 15ML
- One Kahve fincanı or Turkish coffee cup is equivalent to 1/4 to 1/3 cup - 60 -80 ML
As there is no exact coffee cup it sits around 70mls but ideally, recipes shouldn't use this measure.
- One Çay bardağı (İnci belli) or Turkish teacup is equivalent to 1/2 cup less one tablespoon - 110ML
- Yarım Çay bardağı or 1/2 Turkish teacup is equivalent to 1/4 cup less one teaspoon. - 55ML
- One Su Bardağı or water glass is 200mls.